Afrin authorities in urgent call to save lives of tens of thousands civilians

by Wladimir van Wilgenburg    

 

The Self-Administration of Afrin in an urgent call on Friday called on the international community to save tens of thousands of civilians in Afrin.

“Since last week, Turkish military aircrafts and artillery have been targeting the centre of Afrin city, and its densely populated neighbourhoods, more intensely than before. The aim of the Turkish army is clear, which is to terrorise civilians and force them to flee the city,” the administration said in a statement.

“The plight of local civilians was exacerbated during the past two days, when the Turkish army cut off water and energy sources from the city and bombed health centres. The picture is now very tragic, and tens of thousands of civilians have been forced to flee for fear of death. The magnitude of the human tragedy now exceeds the capacity and relief power of the local administration,” the administration.

“In only two days, Turkish artillery and air strikes have killed dozens of civilians, including men, women and children. There are hundreds of people in hospitals, not to mention the inhumane blockade imposed by the Turkish army and its allied takfiri gangs,” the statement added.

“At this moment, thousands of children, the elderly and the wounded are in the open without shelter, food or water. Everyone has a moral obligation to help innocent civilians and not to remain silent in the face of the atrocities, committed by the Turkish army,” the Afrin authorities said.

“We call upon all international organisations and human rights and relief groups to condemn and stop this crime. We urge everyone to respond to the call of the human conscience to help and save the lives of tens of thousands of displaced civilians in the areas of Al Shahba, north-east of Aleppo, and provide them with urgent humanitarian assistance,” the statement concluded.

According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) 27 civilians were killed in airstrikes on Friday, raising the total number of casualties to 254.

Moreover, the SOHR said 35,000 civilians were displaced towards the towns of Nubl and Zahra, in order to rescue themselves “the intense Turkish shelling on the area, amid targeting for them by the Turkish forces, while the Turkish aerial, artillery and rocket shelling continues,” SOHR said

Comments